Sometimes feeding your beloved puppy requires a little more effort than opening a tin – making the extra effort to reward a dog with a homemade meal is beneficial not only to their health, but also to you – as your dinner leftovers can go a long way towards feeding your four-legged friend, and save you money in the process.
For inspiration, here is a delicious recipe from (appropriately named) blog damndelicious.net!
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup peas, canned or frozen
- In a large saucepan of 3 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the turkey as it cooks.
- Stir in spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas and brown rice until the spinach has wilted and the mixture is heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
Recipe source: http://damndelicious.net/2015/04/27/diy-homemade-dog-food/